Commvault's Certification Program validates expertise and advanced knowledge in topics, including Commvault Professional, Engineer and Master-level technologies. Certification is a valuable investment for both a company and the IT professional. Certified personnel can increase a company's productivity, reduce operating costs, and increase potential for personal career advancement.
Commvault's Certification Program offers Professional-level, Engineer-level, and Master-level certifications. This Program provides certification based on a career path, and enables advancement based on an individual’s previous experience and desired area of focus. It also distinguishes higher-level certifications such as Engineer and Master from lower-level certification as a verified proof of expertise.
- Certification is integrated with and managed through Commvault's online registration in the Education Advantage Customer Portal.
- Cost of certification registration is included in the associated training course.
- Practice assessments are available at ea.commvault.com.
- Upgrade exams are available for anyone holding a V10 certification.
- Update exams are required at least every two years and are strongly recommended.
- Certification status requires passing one or more exams.
- Students may take the online certification exam any time after completing the course.
- Although it is recommended to attend training prior to attempting an exam, it is not required.
Commvault Version 11 Certification Exams
Available Commvault Version 11 exams:
- Commvault® Certified Professional
- Commvault® Certified Professional 2018 Update Exam
- V11 Professional Upgrade Exam
- Advanced Infrastructure Design Exam
- Advanced Infrastructure Design 2018 Update Exam
- Commvault Master Exam
- Commvault Master 2018 Update Exam
- Master Upgrade Exam
Retired exams (31-March-2018):
- Core Fundamentals Exam
- Implementation and Maintenance Exam
- Virtualization Specialist Exam
Education Services offers certification update exams. These exams are intended to ensure users are up-to-date on the latest technologies available with the Commvault Next Generation Platform.
- Update exams will be released every two years starting in 2018.
- Commvault users attending select training sessions at the GO conference will be able to take these exams prior to official release. Commvault GO™ 2019 will offer 2020 certifications.
- One free attempt will be provided to update certification status.
- It is recommended to take the update exam within one year of its official release.
- Only one update exam is required to recertify based on your certification level: Professional, Engineer, or Master.
Commvault® Certified Professional 2018
A Commvault Certified Professional certification validates the skills required to install, configure, and administer a CommCell® environment using both the CommCell Console and Admin Console. It proves a professional level skillset in the following areas:
- CommCell Administration – user and group security, configuring administrative tasks, conducting data protection and recovery operations, and CommCell monitoring.
- Storage Administration – deduplication configuration, disk library settings, tape library settings, media management handling, and snapshot administration.
- CommCell Implementation – CommServe® server design, MediaAgent design and placement, indexing settings, client and agent deployment, and CommCell maintenance.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Professional requires passing the Commvault® Certified Professional Exam.
Commvault® Certified Engineer 2018
A Commvault Certified Engineer validates advanced level skills in designing and implementing Commvault software.
- Advanced Infrastructure Design – this exam validates expertise in deploying medium and enterprise level CommCell® environments with a focus on storage design, virtual environment protection, and application data protection strategies.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Engineer requires certification as a Commvault Certified Professional and passing the Advanced Infrastructure Design exam.
Commvault® Certified Master 2018
A Commvault Certified Master validates expert level skills in specific areas of expertise. This is the highest achievable level of certification.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Master requires certification as both a Commvault Certified Professional and Certified Engineer, and successful completion of Master certification requirements. These Master certification requirements include attending a Master class and passing the Master Certification exam.
Additional benefits of attaining the Master Certification include:
- Opportunity to attend free invitation only training events
- Opportunity to attend free beta and early release training courses
- Special benefits when attending Commvault GO conferences
How to Register for an Exam
There are two easy ways to register for and take an online Commvault certification exam. Choose the scenario below that best fits your situation. For questions regarding certification, contact your regional registrar.
For technical questions regarding access to examinations or certificates, contact our application support team (EA_APPS@commvault.com).
Commvault Certified Professional, Engineer or Master
Steps to Take
Attend class and take the free online exam
- Register for any class offered in our Online Course Catalogs worldwide from the Education Advantage page. Each instructor-led class includes a free online exam.
- On the start date and time of the class a link to the online exam(s) will automatically appear in your Education Advantage profile. You may start the exam(s) at any time. We highly recommend that you complete the respective class before attempting to take an exam. Each exam must be completed in a single session and only one free opportunity per exam is provided.
Purchase an online exam
- Online exams are offered in our Online Course Catalogs worldwide from the Education Advantage page. Click on the catalog link for your area of the world.
- Click on the Certification Exams link or corresponding tab.
- Once you register and complete the payment process for an exam, a link to the online exam will appear in your Education Advantage profile. Detailed instructions are included in the confirmation email that is sent to you when your payment is validated.
Note: If you are paying by any payment method other than Credit Card, your registration is initially placed in an "In Progress" status. Your exam link will not become available until payment is received and your registration changed to "Confirmed" status. Confirmation should normally be received within two business days, but may take longer. Please contact your local registrar if you have not received confirmation within five business days.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Update Exams?
Commvault has changed its product release cycle and as a result, new features are added via quarterly service packs. To ensure users of Commvault® software are up-to-date on the latest product enhancements, special training courses and update exams are being offered. These exams are free of charge and should be taken within one year of exam release.
What do I need to do to update my certification status to 2018?
Updating certification status is based on your current certification level:
- V11 Commvault® Professional – take the Commvault Professional 2018 update exam.
- V10 Commvault® Professional – take the V11 Commvault Professional upgrade exam and the Commvault Professional 2018 update exam.
- V11 Commvault® Engineer – take the Commvault Engineer 2018 update exam.
- V11 Master – take the Master 2018 update exam.
- V10 Master – take the V11 Master upgrade exam and the Master 2018 update exam.
- Versions prior to V10 – there are no upgrade paths for certification levels prior to V10. Full exams must be taken to achieve 2018 certification status.
How can certification status be upgraded from V10 to V11?
The Commvault v11 certification program offers upgrade exams for Professional and Master certification status.
What is the cost for the V10 to V11 upgrade exams?
Upgrade exams can be purchased for 1 Training Unit. Free upgrade exams are no longer available.
Must a student participate in an Instructor-Led Training class or purchase eLearning modules to qualify to take an exam?
It is recommended to retake courses as the product will change over a 2 year time period. We also offer a subscription service that includes a learning library which can be used to prepare for exams.
How difficult are the certification exams?
Question formats are designed to challenge participants and to prove competencies at various levels. Professional level certification requires participants to demonstrate strong knowledge of the Commvault Common Technology Engine, policy configuration and client/agent/subclient configuration. Engineer level certification requires participants to demonstrate advanced knowledge of specific features including: Deduplication, IntelliSnap® Technology, storage configuration and Virtualization.