Commvault's Certification Program validates expertise and advanced knowledge in topics, including Commvault Core Fundamentals, Implementation and Maintenance, and more advanced Specialist, Engineer and Master technologies. Certification is a valuable investment for both a company and the IT professional. Certified personnel can increase a company's productivity, reduce operating costs, and increase potential for personal career advancement.
Commvault's Certification Program offers Professional-level, Specialist-level, Engineer-level, and Master-level certifications. This Program provides certification based on a career path, and enables advancement based on an individual’s previous experience and desired area of focus. It also distinguishes higher-level certifications such as Engineer and Master from lower-level certification as a verified proof of expertise.
- Certification is integrated with and managed through Commvault's online registration in the Education Advantage Customer Portal.
- Cost of certification registration is included in the associated training course.
- Practice assessments are given in class.
- The Commvault Certified Professional Exam Prep course is also available.
- Students may take the online certification exam(s) any time after completing the course.
- Although it is recommended to attend training prior to attempting an exam, it is not required.
Commvault Version 11 Certification Exams
Available Commvault Version 11 certification exams:
- Core Fundamentals
- Implementation and Maintenance
- V11 Professional Upgrade Exam
- Advanced Infrastructure Design
- Virtualization Specialist
- Commvault Master Exam
- Master Exam Upgrade Test
- Disaster Recovery Specialist
Commvault Certified Professional
A Commvault Certified Professional certification validates the skills required to install, configure, and administer a CommCell® environment. It proves a professional level skillset in all of the following areas:
- CommCell Administration – user and group security, configuring administrative tasks, conducting data protection and recovery operations, and CommCell monitoring.
- Storage Administration – deduplication configuration, disk library settings, tape library settings, media management handling, and snapshot administration.
- CommCell Implementation – CommServe® server design, MediaAgent design and placement, indexing settings, client and agent deployment, and CommCell maintenance.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Professional requires passing two exams: Commvault® Core Fundamentals and Implementation and Maintenance Exams.
Commvault Certified Engineer
A Commvault Certified Engineer validates advanced level skills in designing and implementing Commvault software.
- Advanced Infrastructure Design – this exam validates expertise in deploying medium and enterprise level CommCell® environments with a focus on storage design, virtual environment protection, and application data protection strategies.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Engineer requires certification as a Commvault Certified Professional and passing the Advanced Infrastructure Design exam.
Commvault Certified Specialist
A Commvault Certified Specialist validates skills in a specific area of expertise:
- Virtualization – This exam validates expertise in protecting and managing virtual environments using the Virtual Server Agent, application agents, hardware snapshots, Virtualize Me and VM lifecycle policies.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Specialist requires certification as a Commvault Certified Professional and passing the Virtual Data Management exam.
Commvault Certified Master
A Commvault Certified Master validates expert level skills in specific areas of expertise. This is the highest achievable level of certification.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Master requires certification as both a Commvault Certified Professional and Certified Engineer, and successful completion of Master certification requirements. These Master certification requirements include attending a Master class and passing the Master Certification exam.
Additional benefits of attaining the Master Certification include:
- Opportunity to attend free invitation only training events
- Opportunity to attend free early release training courses
How to Register for an Exam
There are two easy ways to register for and take an online Commvault certification exam. Choose the scenario below that best fits your situation. For questions regarding certification, contact your regional registrar.
For technical questions regarding access to examinations or certificates, contact our application support team (EA_APPS@commvault.com).
Commvault Certified Professional, Specialist, Engineer or Master
Steps to Take
Attend class and take the free online exam
- Register for any class offered in our Online Course Catalogs worldwide from the Education Services page. Each instructor-led class includes a free online exam.
- On the start date and time of the class a link to the online exam(s) will automatically appear in your Education Advantage profile. You may start the exam(s) at any time. We highly recommend that you complete the respective class before attempting to take an exam. Each exam must be completed in a single session and only one free opportunity per exam is provided.
Purchase an online exam
- Online exams are offered in our Online Course Catalogs worldwide from the Education Services page. Click on the catalog link for your area of the world.
- Click on the Certification Exams link or corresponding tab.
- Once you register and complete the payment process for an exam, a link to the online exam will appear in your Education Advantage profile. Detailed instructions are included in the confirmation email that is sent to you when your payment is validated.
Note: If you are paying by any payment method other than Credit Card, your registration is initially placed in an "In Progress" status. Your exam link will not become available until payment is received and your registration changed to "Confirmed" status. Confirmation should normally be received within two business days, but may take longer. Please contact your local registrar if you have not received confirmation within five business days.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can certification status be upgraded from V10 to V11?
The Commvault v11 certification program offers upgrade exams for Professional and Master certification status.
What is the cost for the V10 to V11 upgrade exams?
If you are a V10 certified Professional or Master, one free upgrade attempt is granted until October 31st, 2016. Beyond the October deadline, upgrade exams can be purchased. Free upgrade attempts are not available for certifications prior to V10.
Must a student participate in an Instructor-Led Training class or purchase eLearning modules to qualify to take an exam?
It is strongly recommended to attend formal Commvault training and associated Certification Exam prep courses, although it is not required.
How difficult are the certification exams?
Question formats are designed to challenge participants and to prove competencies at various levels. Professional level certification requires participants to demonstrate strong knowledge of the Commvault Common Technology Engine, policy configuration and client/agent/subclient configuration. Engineer level certification requires participants to demonstrate advanced knowledge of specific features including: Deduplication, IntelliSnap® Technology, storage configuration and Virtualization.