Commvault's Certification Program validates expertise and advanced knowledge in topics, including Commvault Professional, Engineer and Master-level technologies. Certification is a valuable investment for both a company and the IT professional. Certified personnel can increase a company's productivity, reduce operating costs, and increase potential for personal career advancement.
Commvault's Certification Program offers Professional-level, Engineer-level, and Master-level certifications. This program provides certification based on a career path, and enables advancement based on an individual’s previous experience and desired area of focus. It also distinguishes higher-level certifications such as Engineer and Master from lower-level certification as a verified proof of expertise.
Commvault® Certification Program
- Certification is integrated with and managed through Commvault's online registration in the Education Advantage Customer Portal.
- Cost of certification registration is included in the associated training course.
- Practice assessments are available at ea.commvault.com.
- Update exams are required at least every two years and are strongly recommended.
- Certification status requires passing one or more exams.
- Students may take the online certification exam any time after completing the course.
- Although it is recommended to attend training prior to attempting an exam, it is not required.
Commvault Version 11 Certification Exams
Available Commvault Version 11 exams:
- Commvault® Professional Foundations 2020 Exam
- Commvault® Professional Advanced 2020 Exam
- Commvault® Professional 2020 Update Exam
- Commvault® Engineer 2020 Exam
- Commvault® Engineer 2020 Update Exam
- Commvault® Master 2020 Exam
- Commvault® Master 2020 Update Exam
Education Services offers certification update exams. These exams are intended to ensure users are up-to-date on the latest technologies.
- Update exams will be released every two years.
- One free attempt will be provided to update certification status.
- It is recommended to take the update exam within one year of its official release.
- Only one update exam is required to recertify based on your certification level: Professional, Engineer, or Master.
Commvault® Certified Professional 2020
A Commvault Certified Professional certification validates the skills required to install, configure, and administer a CommCell® environment using both the Commvault Command Center™ and CommCell Console. It proves a professional level skillset in the following areas:
- CommCell Administration – user and group security, configuring administrative tasks, conducting data protection and recovery operations and CommCell monitoring.
- Storage Administration – deduplication configuration, disk library settings, tape library settings and media management handling.
- CommCell Implementation – Commvault® server design, MediaAgent design and placement, indexing settings, client and agent deployment and CommCell maintenance.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Professional requires passing both the Commvault® Certified Professional Foundations and Commvault® Certified Professional Advanced Exams.
Commvault® Certified Engineer 2020
A Commvault Certified Engineer validates advanced level skills in designing and implementing Commvault software.
- Commvault Certified Engineer – this exam validates expertise in deploying medium and enterprise level CommCell® environments with a focus on storage design, virtual environment protection, and application data protection strategies.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Engineer requires certification as a Commvault Certified Professional and passing the Commvault® Certified Engineer exam.
Commvault® Certified Master 2020
A Commvault Certified Master validates expert level skills in specific areas of expertise. This is the highest achievable level of certification.
Certification status as a Commvault Certified Master requires certification as both a Commvault Certified Professional and Commvault Certified Engineer, and successful completion of Commvault® Master certification requirements. These Master certification requirements include attending a Commvault Master class and passing the Commvault® Master Certification exam.
How to Register for an Exam
There are two easy ways to register for and take an online Commvault® certification exam. Choose the scenario below that best fits your situation. For questions regarding certification, contact your regional registrar.
Commvault® Certified Professional, Engineer or Master
Option 1 (recommended)
Attend class and take the free online Exam
Purchase an online Exam
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Update Exams?
Commvault has changed its product release cycle and as a result, new features are added via quarterly Feature Releases. To ensure users of Commvault® software are up-to-date on the latest product enhancements, special training courses and update exams are being offered. These exams are free of charge and should be taken within one year of exam release.
What do I need to do to update my certification status to 2020?
Updating certification status is based on your current certification level:
- V11 Commvault® Professional – take the Commvault Professional 2020 update exam.
- V11 Commvault® Engineer – take the Commvault Engineer 2020 update exam.
- V11 Commvault® Master – take the Commvault Master 2020 update exam.
- Versions prior to V11 – there are no upgrade paths for certification levels prior to V11. Full exams must be taken to achieve 2020 certification status.
Must a student participate in an Instructor-Led Training class or purchase Self-Paced training modules to qualify to take an exam?
It is recommended to retake courses as the product will change over a 2 year time period. We also offer a subscription service that includes a learning library which can be used to prepare for exams.
How difficult are the certification exams?
Question formats are designed to challenge participants and to prove competencies at various levels. Professional level certification requires participants to demonstrate strong knowledge of the Commvault Common Technology Engine, policy configuration and client/agent/subclient configuration. Engineer level certification requires participants to demonstrate advanced knowledge of specific features including: Deduplication, IntelliSnap® Technology, storage configuration and Virtualization.